21 2 / 2014
Slowly I began to understand fully that there was no place in academe for folks from working-class backgrounds who did not wish to leave the past behind. That was the price of the ticket. Poor students would be welcome at the best institutions of higher learning only if they were willing to surrender memory, to forget the past and claim the assimilated present as the only worthwhile and meaningful reality.
Students from nonprivileged backgrounds who did not want to forget often had nervous breakdowns. They could not bear the weight of all the contradictions they had to confront. They were crushed. More often than not they dropped out with no trace of their inner anguish recorded, no institutional record of the myriad ways their take on the world was assaulted by an elite vision of class and privilege. The records merely indicated that even after receiving financial aid and other support, these students simply could not make it, simply were not good enough.
At no time in my years as a student did I march in a graduation ceremony. I was not proud to hold degrees from institutions where I had been constantly scorned and shamed. I wanted to forget these experiences, to erase them from my consciousness. Like a prisoner set free, I did not want to remember my years on the inside."
15 1 / 2014
09 1 / 2014
09 1 / 2014
- CTA workers repairing lines in the dead of winter
- The homeless
- People in long distance relationships (esp. when out of necessity)
- People without access to running water
- People who exercise in winter
- People who convince/force kids to dress appropriately in inclement weather
I salute you.
10 12 / 2013
- Steal a baby
- Go ice skating
- Eat the rest of the Cool Whip
- Cut myself some bangs
- Watch Love Actually so I can have an opinion about it.
- Learn português
- See how much chicken I can eat in one sitting
- Start watching Blue Valentine but stop watching 5 minutes in because I can’t stand the mess of Ryan Gosling(’s house).
- Do the dishes
- Waste $2 on extra Candy Crush lives because I need to clear the jelly, damnit!
I have accomplished half of the items on this list in the interest of procrastination.